- General information
- Document checklist
- Application form
- Foreign Sea Crew
- Quick links
Please note, from 1 July 2018 all Transit visa applications must be lodged online via ImmiAccount.
This visa is for:
- people who wish to transit through Australia and who do not qualify for transit without a visa, or
- people travelling to Australia to join a vessel as crew.
A transit visa is required even if:
- you fly out on the same aircraft and from the same airport at which you arrived
- you stay in the transit lounge and do not leave the airport.
The Transit visa allows entry into Australia with a maximum stay of 72 hours and is free of an application charge. Please note, a Transit visa should not be used as a three day visitor visa.
Part of the criteria which must be satisfied for the grant of a Transit visa include that the applicant establishes that their principal purpose in entering Australia is to pass through Australia in transit to another country, and that the applicant intends to remain in Australia no longer than 72 hours. This criteria cannot be satisfied if the applicant intends a stopover in Australia, for visitation or tourism purposes, or does not intend to travel on to a third country.
Applications for a Transit Visa should contain supporting evidence which may include some or all of the following:
- proof of employment
- proof of income
- information regarding family composition
- information regarding purpose of visit
- It is important to remember that the onus is on the applicant to satisfy the decision maker that they meet the relevant criteria for the grant of the visa.
For further information on Transit visas, please see: Do I need a visa to transit through Australia?
See: Application forms
Foreign Sea Crew
See: Maritime Crew Visa
Last updated 1 July 2018