Smartraveller: What you need to know
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is committed to helping Australians in difficulty overseas, including those impacted by a crisis.
Smartraveller (https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/) has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel. It contains travel advice for over 160 destinations, including Vietnam, covering useful advice on local laws, health issues, crime and an indicative rating of the security situation of that country. Security conditions can change quickly so monitor the travel advice closely prior to your departure.
As a change from the previous Smartraveller service, we now also encourage you to subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address – straight to your inbox.
- We won’t be able to transition you to the new service. We know it’s a hassle but to continue to get travel advice updates you’ll need to subscribe using our new service.
- You’ll now need just an email address to receive the latest travel advice updates.
- Subscribe to get an email with a link to the latest travel advice whenever it’s updated.
- You can choose to subscribe to one or more destinations and receive updates as they happen or through one email at the end of the day.
- You can change your preferences at any time.
- You’ll be able to opt in to receive SMS ‘critical alerts’ for crises overseas
- this service complements the standard travel advice updates sent via email
- it’s a better channel for urgent information