- General information
- Important changes to the student visa programme – from 1 July 2016
- Visa Requirements
- Evidentiary requirements and Document checklists
- How to lodge a Student visa application
- Fees and Charges
- Quick links
The Australian Government operates an overseas student program that allows people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia.
If you want to study under this program, you must obtain a student visa before you can commence a course of study in Australia.
You can be granted a student visa only if you wish to undertake a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis.
A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students. Information on registered courses is available on the website below:
Important changes to the student visa programme – from 1 July 2016
On 1 July 2016, Australia will make a number of changes to its student visa processes. These changes include the introduction of a simplified student visa framework (SSVF). For further information, please see: here
There are various visas that you can apply for to study in Australia which depend on the type of study you choose to undertake. For further information, please see: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud
Evidentiary requirements and Document checklists
- To find out the level of English language and financial documentary evidence you need to provide with your Student visa application, please select your Education Provider and Country of Passport using the Online Document Checklist Tool.
- Once you have determined whether your application requires evidence of English language and financial requirements, please refer to the country specific Student visa document checklist for Vietnam to ensure all other relevant documentation is included with your application. See: checklists
- It is important for applicants to attach these documents to their visa application prior to lodgement. Failure to do so might result in visa refusal.
How to lodge a student visa application
All applications for a Student visa or Guardian visa (subclass 500 and 590) should be lodged online from 1 July 2016.
See ImmiAccount for more information.
See Online visa lodgement for additional information and hints and tips.
Fees and Charges
See: Fees and Charges
Last updated 15 May 2017